Friday, July 18, 2008

ohmagrooness I'm really heeeere!

It's currently 6:43am, and I've been up since 5:30....which my body, conveniently, thought was actually 4:30pm the previous afternoon.  Awesome!  Wish me luck that I don't crumble into a jet-lagged, comatose puddle by dinnertime.
So I made it to Seoul!  I left Atlanta at 12:20pm on Wednesday and arrived in Incheon (near Seoul) at about 9pm on Thursday.  Taking into account the time delay and our time-warp across the international date line (SO COOL), plus my taxi ride to where I'm living, I was traveling for 22 hours.  Dag, yo.  But it was uneventful, which was good!  Here are some highlights.

**On the plane from Atlanta to Detroit, I sat next to a lady wearing a Dunder Mifflin t-shirt.  We chatted a bit, and she even laughed at my joke about buying my sister a Hello Kitty backpack so she could come to my house and steal it.  Score!  (Yay for The Office!)

**I sent my dad and Margaret a text message just before I left Detroit that said "see you in Toky, yo."  HA!  I'm hilarious.

**On my Detroit-to-Tokyo flight, I was shoehorned in coach between two other people, and Window-Seat Lady got up and crawled over us twice before we could even take off.  (Joy!)  But then the flight attendant asked if I'd like to move to an empty bank of seats in the middle of the plane, so I did.  And Y'ALL.  I had four seats, in a row, all to myself.  And I had their pillows and blankets at my disposal, too!  So I was able to completely stretch out and sleep, which was a blessing on that 14-hour flight.  Thanks, flight attendant lady!

**In the Tokyo airport, I changed my last $10 of American money into yen so I could buy a lil souvenir.  I was hoping for the aforementioned Hello Kitty backpack for the aforementioned sister, but alas...they were too expensive.  So I bought a pretty hairstick instead.  My mom just taught me--like, three days ago--how to put my hair up with one, so now I'm all set!

**While I waited to board in Tokyo, I watched sumo wrestling on TV.  And it was AMAZING.  Did you know that sumo wrestlers grab each other by their little thong/loincloth thingies in order to get each other off balance?  Which requires reeeeeaching around behind your opponent and kind of fondling his butt a little before you find purchase on his thong?  It's true.

**Seen on a tourism advertisement in the Seoul airport:
Oh man...that REALLY makes me wanna go to Jeonbuk.  :c)



Okay....off to get dressed and have my first day at school!  I hope the other kids like me.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohmagrooness - are you really there? I thought you were just going outside to pass gas!!! You're really in Seoul?????????? I should have known better. You never go outside for that.

Anonymous said...

And I can attest to that may I say!!!! So happy you found your Seoul roomie! It was about time! =0)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you posted for 3 whole days before you told me about it. A whole row of seats to yourself? Da-mazing!

P.S. I moved your last load of laundry to the dryer.