Thursday, July 24, 2008

gym class, minus the stinky uniforms

On Tuesdays this month, I'll be co-teaching the pre-schoolers' gym class.  At SLP (my school), gym class is an hour-long period after lunch where the pre-schoolers (age 5 or so) play games and stuff, but it doesn't involve changing clothes or copious sweating.  At first, I was kind of indifferent about teaching gym class; I didn't think much about it.

But then I started to make a list.

During one of my observations today, I started writing down ideas for gym class activities.  Drawing on my extensive P.E. and youth group repertoire, I came up with some pretty sweet ideas, including:
  • Mother, may I?
  • where the wild wind blows
  • the winking game (my personal junior high youth group favorite)
  • bull wrestling (holla, Katie Snow!)
  • a challenge whereby two teams brainstorm to come up with a way for 8 people to support themselves with only 5 feet total on the ground....then 4 feet...then 3...then 2... (that's from my post-high-school Jamaica mission trip)
  • some variation on TV tag (animal tag?  English-words-starting-with-S tag?)
  • blob tag (another highlight of my junior high youth group experience...especially when it involved linking arms with a cute boy.  SCORE!)
  • duck duck goose (which, incidentally, is called "duck duck grey duck" in Minnesota...did you know that?  it is!  Minnesotans are kind of wackadoo.)
  • car, dog, fire hydrant (again, a junior high youth group brainchild; it's an adaptation of rock, paper, scissors--except that it involves your entire body)

Y'all.  I am getting so excited about teaching this gym class.  What does that say about me?  I'm pretty sure it says I have a very refined sense of fun.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Some tips from my experience with karate-wahs this month: Simplify games as much as possible, especially for such young kids. They can't follow many more than a couple of directions. Plus, they enjoy really simple games. They LOVE battle ball-ask me about that one. I'm sure it would be a hit anywhere. Relay races are good. Oh! and trying to get the hula hoop around the circle without letting hands go and timing it. Any game that involves a chance to yell and run and be silly, basically. OOH good one: running laps in the manner of various animals. My favs so far are monkeys and dinosaurs. I promise, these things work.

Lori said...

Oh man....I can't WAIT to hear about battle ball! I'm definitely going to have to consult you before I run a gym class. :c)

Lori said...

Hey by the way: when I comment on my own post, does it send you a "hey, someone commented about your comment" e-mail? Or anything like that? Because if not, I should probably start letting people know when I reply to stuff they say....

Unknown said...

Nope, it didn't tell me. Good thing I obsessively check your blog :-P

Kate Croft said...

So it's been a long time since I did anything resembling gym, but I *did* do a ton of theatre games in school, and I think some of that stuff could apply nicely to your classroom. This book has a lot of great stuff in it, if you're interested in that kind of thing. :)