Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ahjummas everywhere

In Korea, I see lots of ahjummas (grandmotherly women) out and about. I'll run into them in an elevator, working in a restaurant, walking on the sidewalk, or riding the subway.....they're all over the place. Germany has a similar proliferation of old ladies out and about, and today I realized that in both countries that proliferation stuck out to me. Why is that?

Is there some quality that Germany and Korea have in common that increases the autonomy of little old ladies? Or, put differently, is there something about the US that keeps old ladies from going out to conduct their business or to work...at least, to the same degree that Korean and German old ladies go out and about?

Or is it just that American old ladies are usually with American old men?

Or are there a similar concentrations of old ladies in public in the US as there are in Germany and Korea, but for some reason the numbers appear different to me? (And if that's the case...why does it seem like there are more of them here and in Germany than in the US?)





Anyway...I was just musing over that. Ideas?

4 comments:

Yoonie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yoonie said...

Okay, so I'm in a rush cuz I gotta go meet David, but...

Ahjummas are like the ultra-ness of feminine power. You don't mess with the ahjummas.

P.S. Ahjummas can be any age from middle 40s to lower 60s.

Lori said...

yeah, I've been kind of confused about that! I've heard some places that they're women over 60, and other places that they can be as young as 30. in fact, I just googled it (the correct spelling...thanks for that), and couldn't find a good definition. sad! but the common link between all descriptions of ahjummas that I've heard is that they don't take crap from anyone. which is awesome. :c)

mtnmimi said...

Miz Lori Teacher, I am so glad to hear that you are doing something interesting but how did you manage to graduate and move to S. Korea without my knowledge. Could it be that my two left hip replacement surgeries and rehab stays from March into April took me out of commission? Yep that could have been the reason.
Did you know that Katie is studying in Chile for Fall Semester? She's a Sr. this year. Classes started this past week and she is adjusting to the culture change. Drop her a note when you have time.
And, by the way, AJUMAS, RULE in the US as well as elsewhere. grin! Love you, Sunshine