Thursday, July 24, 2008

assorted, themeless photos!

I haven't posted pictures in a while.  Do y'all want some pictures?  Are you sitting at your computers, your little pea-pickin hearts simply PINING for some pictures of Korea?

I'm sorry!  I didn't know!


This is COEX, the glorious Mecca of consumerism that I visited on Tuesday.  It was a magical experience.


And this is the view from my balcony.  My building is a carbon copy of these, which made finding my way home very difficult for the first couple days.  It was like wandering through some postmodern concrete jungle of high-rises.  In the distance, though, there's a mountain!  It's quite unexpected on the horizon; it looks like a curious chubby kid poking his head into the frame of a picture.  I hope I'll get a chance to go check it out soon.

And this is the street where my school is!  I was on my way back from COEX, and I'd just come out of the metro.  See that neon cross on the building up ahead?  And the red and white text just above that?  The red text says "SLP," and the white text says "Sogang Language Program" in Korean (I assume).  That's my school!  We're on the seventh floor.  Other tenants in the building include a grocery store, a noodle shop, a little salon, a few flea-market-style clothes shops, a bakery, two (!) other English-language schools, a bank, a pharmacy, a couple doctors' offices, and a chicken restaurant.

It's quite convenient; if I need to make a withdrawal from my Korean bank account, I just elevator myself down to the second floor.  If I want a tasty 85-cent lunch, I go down to B1 and buy some ramen a la Cup-of-Noodles.  If I want some yummy and nutritious kimbap for a dollar, I head to the first floor.  It's a pretty sweet set-up, and it's inspired some fruitful fact-finding missions (fruitful and alliterative, apparently).  Some days after school I'll go wandering around the building, smelling the perfume testers on the first floor or perusing the three (three!) different kinds of soap dishes in the grocery store.  I've already discovered some treasures and beacons of weirdness; both kinds of findings are supremely satisfying.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ok so I keep thinking that somehow I've gotten way behind on reading your posts, but then I realized that you posted more than once in a day. You are a crazy-pants poster. But is arrsome bc is like talking to you almost as much as we would normally.

Nomarella said...

HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN LIKE TWO DAYS SINCE YOU UPDATED YOUR BLOG WHAT IS THE INTERNET GOING TO DO????????? Also, I miss you.

Unknown said...

if you go to the mountains, you can get fresh spring water from it, especially 2 days after a rainfall. bring a waterbottle and filler up. mt water's tasty yo. way better than poland spring, or any other bottled water.

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool pix. Those apartments are creepy look-alike. Interesting to see the building number in english only, but I'm assuming numbers in Korean look more like their letters. So are these apartments for non-Koreans only? And who lives in the house in the middle with the blue roof? What a lovely view they must have. My verification word for posting a comment is turbboa. Is that some kind of supercharged snake? W.A.Y.C.H?

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see pictures of the chicken restaurant. They must be very small seats and do chickens really eat noodles?

Nomarella said...

cowfants gimme a call i meeeeeeeeeess yooooooooooo

Lori said...

Momma: I don't know what the little blue-roofed building is--and actually, I hadn't noticed it before. Huh! It's not a house, though. I can tell you that fo sho.

Also, the numbers are the same here as in the States. Which makes it WAY easier to get around. I've been surprised at how helpful it can be to at least share the number system in common; without that, I don't know how I'd ever buy anything, ride an elevator, or find my apartment building. :c)