Monday, October 6, 2008

A passel of telescope designers

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I adore my third-grade science class.  They're my highest-level class, and they're always full of energy and giggly and fun.  Here are a couple of their writing assignments; they're learning about telescopes, so their assignment was to draw and describe a telescope of the future.  (I wish I could show you their drawings too....they're awesome.)


My Future Telescope
by Aiden
My future telescope is the "Good magical Super Duper Telescope."  It is 60 centimeters long if you stretch it and 30 centimeters if you fold it.  It has a sponge inside that cleans the monicules ["molecules"] on the screen so we can see space very well like the Hubble Space Telescope.  The sponge's name is the "slave sponge".  Also, there is a sword's blade inside.  When there is an enemy, you had dig, you need to cut something, etc, you can press the {SWORD} button, the sharp blades comes out.  The last thing is, there is a monitor and some buttons.  There are the letters, numburs, and the arrow buttons.  You can also see the {Sword} button.  At the monitor, you can see the sky and it tells you the constellations and the imformation of the stars, meteors, planets, moons, etc.


My Future Telescope
by Bill
My future telescope's name will be A.F.S.I.T (Alien Finder Star Information Telescope).  A.F.S.I.T is a home telescope that has a little radio telescope in top of it and one on the leg.  This telescope has lazer blasters.  The lazer goes to space and hits a star.  Then the lazer comes back to the telescope with information.  The speaker tells the information, and you can see the star the lazer bounced off.  You could look at the star 1~3 minutes.  There are three buttons that says (1) (2) (3).  If you press a button, you can see the star the lazer bounced off for that much minutes.  Also, there is a reflector.  This reflects lazer when lazer hits the wrong place.  In one second, lazer moves 3 trillion miles.  There are three flashlights on A.F.S.I.T.  You can take these flashlights out.


My Future Telescope
by Jane
This is a telescope that can do 5 thing!  I will tell the 5 things all.  The (1) thing is that we can see the star very closely and we can see the space!  We can look at the sun closely.  The (2) good thing is that we have to send telescope and settlelight's to the space but it cost a lot and with a spacecraft.  The telescope makes the settlelights and the telescopes into the space.  When they go to the space they get pictures some mystery or speical thing and Some creature, they get the picture or take it to Earth.  And other is (3)!
The (3) good thing is cool!  It makes a light go to the planet and make the light come back it's the same thing as number (2)!
Last, the (4) is a little bit impossible because the telescope get's bigger and bigger gets to the space or a planet and put a little scientist robot and make it study.





I freaking love these kids.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the little scientist man that goes inside the telescope! I miss being young enough to think I could invent things like that. So much fun.

Anonymous said...

I saw a picture on the internet this week taken by the Hubble. It is two spiral galaxies colliding. Science is awesome, but seeing it through the eyes of little kids is a pretty cool perspective.

-DW- said...

I don't know if you knew, but my sis is teaching in Korea too... I'm sure that you and she could swap many a story. (They call her "Cassie-Teacher" I think)