Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I PROMISE I'm not bribing them to write this stuff.

I got another complimentary writing assignment today.  I realize that I look completely vain by posting TWO of these on my blog, but they kind of crack me up, so I don't care.  :c)  The assignment was to choose a topic, write a topic sentence, then write detail sentences.


Lori teacher is beautiful. She is beautifull because she have golden hair.  She has preety eyes. She has long hair. I like her very much. She has white skin. She looks likea butterfly.


I must admit that I'm kind of enjoying my boost in perceived attractiveness in Korea.  Because I have very fair skin, light-ish European-shaped eyes, and light-ish hair (well...in comparison to Asian black hair), I'm already at an advantage in the looks department.  I'm not gonna lie: it's a nice little ego boost that a couple strangers I've interacted with--cashiers, et al.--have commented that I am "very peautiful."  Again, I emphasize that 90% of that is because of my European features and coloring...but hey, a compliment is a compliment!  I'll take it.

Luna's laudatory writing assignment brought up one other interesting phenomenon in the life of Lori Teacher.  Several Koreans have mentioned my "blond," "yellow," or "gold" hair!  My hair is red.  If anything, it gets mistaken for brown hair, but definitely not blond.  But in the same way that it's often hard for a Westerner to tell different Asian ethnicities apart, I think it's just harder for Korean eyes to see the differences between blond, brown, and red hair.  And I'm sure it doesn't help that "red" hair looks nothing like a "red" crayon.


I tell you what, though.  I feel somehow vindicated that my extreme paleness is actually an attractive thing in Korea.  Score!  "She looks like a butterfly," "she have golden hair," "she is sweety smell"....hey, I'll take it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've told Lori Teacher for years that she is peautiful!!!!!!

HOWEVER, when it comes to the smell.......... Better ask her seester. But wait, she might say pooterful. Probably just a Korean translation of peautiful.