Monday, September 29, 2008

Adventures in Grading, part....3? 4?

Around school these days, the hulking, insidious figure of the Kangnam Speech Contest is looming before us.  Every student has to prepare something: the most upper-level students will write essays, the babiest of the babies will answer interview questions and talk about their current storybook, and there are various gradations in between.  When I wrote my September syllabi, I didn't know the speech contest was imminent, so the last week or so has been a super-fun (.....) omelet of rearranged schedules and overstuffed class periods.

My third-grade science class, which is one of my favorites, prepared the first part of their speeches and turned them in to me on Friday.  I was just grading one of them--Christopher's--when I had a laugh-out-loud grading moment.  I've reproduced it exactly; homeboy did a bang-up job.  I'm not gonna tell you which part made me laugh, though; see if you can guess.   ;)



Hello, my name is [redacted, yo].  my English name is Christopher.  I am in third grade.  I have been studying English for four years.  I went to the US with my family.  [ed. note: I just found out--like, a week ago--that he lived in Chapel Hill last year.  An hour and a half from me!  Crazy!  Anyway...onward.]  I learned English a lot there and made American friends.

My hobby is reading books.  I always read books when it is rest time.  One of my favorite book is Series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket.I like it because it is adventurous, risky and odd.  If you want to be unfortunate, read this book but you will have fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh out loud too!