Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Adventures in grading, part 4ish.

I wish I had a scanner....I really do.

I was just grading some summaries for my third grade science class--the one I've written about a million times.  And Aiden, who's one of the two smartest (in a class full of smart cookies), had quite a bit of fun with his summary.

He wrote it on tiny paper; it's from a little spiral-bound pocket notebook.  I hate that, because the paper is so easy to lose.  But this time, he had two pieces of paper stapled together, and the top one had a little button drawn on it.  The button said "summary now start," and little arrows informed me that I should press the button to see his summary.  Sure enough, after I pressed the button (....and turned the page), his summary was there waiting for me.


I adore this class, as I've already said a million times.  A lot of it is because they're so high-level, which makes it easier to talk to them, as well as making things like humor possible.  (Joking around with first-graders who have been learning English for a year is a completely futile endeavor.)  But more than that, they actually enjoy being there.  They're friends with each other, and they approach the class like it's a fun part of their day.  That attitude means that they do their homework, they're in a good mood, and they actually get creative and have fun with their homework.

What a spiffy bunch of kids.    :c)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How many classes do you teach?

Mattypants said...

"summary now start" - I love it! I think I'm going to show up at your school so that I can read all the funny things your students write.