Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Psychology...set to MUSIC. Ooooooh.

One of my lovely TIP students from last summer (hi, Mikayla!) sent me a facebook message with a link a few days ago.  I was in the middle of my end-of-the-month report-card-writing syllabus-making stress-inducing sleep-depriving forgetting-to-eating stupor, so I didn't get a chance to watching it until now.  (Okay, granted...I'm not really out of the aforementioned stupor just yet, but at least I slept last night!  Woohoo!)

Anyhoodle, I needed a break just now, so I finally watched the video she sent me.  And Y'ALL.  It's a SONG about PSYCHOLOGY.  Well, okay...not the whole discipline.  (That'd be a crazypants-long song....and probably in the frenetic montage style of "We Didn't Start the Fire."  [Note to self: WRITE THAT SONG.])  But it was about my favorite classic psychology experiment, the Milgram obedience experiment from 1961.  In the song, Dar Williams writes from the point of view of one of the subjects, who followed orders and inflicted pain (or so they thought) on other subjects.  If you're interested, I'd recommend checking out the previous links first, then listening to the song (and here are the lyrics).


It's a pretty awesome find if you're a total psychology dork.  (And even if you're not, I think it'd still be pretty compelling.)  Enjoy!

No comments: