Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sympathy for Korea's high school seniors.

Today is the college entrance exam.  High school seniors all around the country take this exam, which determines which college they will get into, which determines what jobs they'll get, which determines their quality of life for the next....oh, seventy years.  Korea puts a LOT of stock in credentials, and this test is one of the most pivotal things that a Korean citizen does in his or her entire life.

An excellent post on Roboseyo details the exam and its impact on society.  There's also an embedded video by SeoulGlow, wherein Michael Hurt, a celebrity blogger in Seoul, interviews high schoolers about their feelings on the exam.  The post and the video are quite compelling; I hope you'll take a look and let me know what you think in the comments.

4 comments:

Roboseyo said...

Hi there, Lori. Thanks for the link!

the high school test mostly just makes me sad, because 1. I wouldn't have made it in this society -- I'm a smart enough dude, but my type of intelligence doesn't translate into multiple-choice questions; more in problem solving ones, or analytical ones. 2. the best test performers are getting into Korea's best schools, instead of the brightest students with the most future leadership potential.

sigh.

but the thing is: everybody knows it's broke, but nobody knows how to fix it.

got any ideas?

Erin said...

I've been seeing all the "good luck" cakes and pastries in Paris Baguette these past few weeks.

Too bad many of them are in broken English!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori Teach,
Here is a link if you would like to add a "Brainy Quote" to your blog daily. Could be interesting........
I will visit SEoul vicariously through YOU!
Merci Beaucoup!

Anonymous said...

I think Rita Moreno sang it best...I want to live in A-mare-eeka, I like to live in A-mare-eeka!