Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ironic toilet paper.

I've never been able to find paper towels in Korea.  Not anywhere--and I've looked.  Instead, Koreans use toilet paper (well....they call it "tissue") for everything: as toilet paper (duh), as napkins, as paper towels...everything.  In our bathrooms at school, there's even a big roll of toilet paper for you to dry your hands with.  And that works REALLY well, of course...as long as you don't mind little bits of wet toilet paper clinging to your hands.

Yesterday, we were running out of toilet paper in the apartment.  I mean, we were getting REALLY close to the end of the last roll.  I'd been avoiding buying it because I bought the last pack, but I didn't want to be caught without toilet paper, so I went out and bought some.  And a couple hours later, the next time nature called, I opened my new pack of toilet paper--AND IT WAS PAPER TOWELS.  They were even the short, half-sheet kind!  My favorite!

Of COURSE: when I finally find paper towels in Korea, what I really want is toilet paper.  Figures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall the same thing in Lebanon, except they had these rectangular plastic bags about the size of a kleenex box with thin "tissues" to be used instead of paper towels. Seriously, how do people live without real paper towels?!

Anonymous said...

Is it actually toilet paper or is it more like the tissue paper you use when wrapping presents? You know you can always use a hair dryer. Hee