Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And 10 kilometers later, I took a glorious shower.

Tonight I was feeling adventurous, so I decided to go for a run on the streets of Seoul.  (Smog-filled Seoul, you ask?  Yes!  The same!)  So I changed clothes, put my hair in knobbly little bun-pigtails, tied my key into my shoelaces, got my iPod and pepper spray, and was ready to roll.  I told Roommate Jake where I was going, as well as a timetable about when to start panicking if I didn't return.  "If you're not back in an hour or so, I'll just call your cell phone," he said.

Hmm.  Cell phone.  Good point.

So I got my cell phone, too.  But now I was carrying my iPod, pepper spray, and phone.  And that's kind of a lot to carry.  "Ooh...and what if something happens?  And I need to have some money?  And my ID?"  I thought.  So, being the street-wise safety queen (read: paranoid overpacker person) that I am, I threw everything in a small clutch purse and headed out.  Road, you are MINE!

I decided to head toward COEX, the huge shopping mall/convention center in our area.  I figured that if I could get to COEX and back, someone should give me a medal, because a) I am woefully out of shape, and b) it's about a ten- or fifteen-minute cab ride from my apartment to COEX.  But there's a lot of stuff in that direction, so I figured I'd at least start running that way.

"Run, run, run," I thought.  "Running!  Okay, but now my asthma's acting up.  Walking.  Walk walk walk.  Feeling like an idiot, what with my bun-pigtails and short shorts and tank top and sneakers, yet with no runningness to give purpose to such fashion absurdity."  [Y'all.  Did you know that Seoul-ese women dress up ALL THE TIME?  They always look awesome!  I'm pretty sure they sleep in high heels.]  So I ran and walked, alternatingly (attack of the made-up adverbs!!!) for a while.  And I found a Starbucks and a Coffee Bean, quite close to my apartment!  Who knew?  (There also was another Starbucks and a Holly's Coffee between me and COEX.  Geez, Korea!)

So I ran some.  And walked some.  And noted the interesting little restaurants and businesses along my way.  And it was lovely!  Except: no COEX.  COEX is Really Kind Of a Huge Place, so there were two possibilities.

a) It was farther away than I thought.
b) I went out the wrong subway exit, thus accidentally turning a corner, while going underground to cross the street.  BOLLOCKS.

But after I ran some more, I decided that it must have been b), because: STILL NO GIANT BEACON OF CONSUMERISM.  Eventually I came to a curve in the road, no way to cross the (very busy) street, and what looked like an overpass around the curve with unfriendlily-narrow sidewalks.  (SECOND attack of the made-up adverbs!!!)  I walked around a little hut/kiosk and found a man that worked there.  Well...from my perspective, I found the man that worked there.  From his perspective, he was snooken up upon by someone holding SOMETHING DARK IN THEIR HAND AAH A GUN I PUT MY HANDS UP oh.  It's just some red-faced waeguk girl with a purse and bun-pigtails.

Once he realized that I was not, in fact, trying to rob him, I sign-languaged and grunted my way through an inquiry about how/where to cross the street.  He laughed at me, pointed back toward where I came from, and smacked me on the arm playfully for being such a dolt.  So I decided that then would be a good time to turn around and head back.

The other side of the street was also interesting!  Among the most noteworthy sights:
1)  A gaggle of high-schoolers, just getting out of school.  AT TEN THIRTY PM.  Because the Korean education system is INSANE and SLAVE-DRIVERISH.
2)  Some establishment called "Greece."  Excited that I might have happened upon a Greek restaurant near my apartment, I tiptoed down the stairs and poked my head into the restaurant.  It was kind of fancy, and there was just one guy (who looked like a waiter) sitting within my line of sight.  So I speed-tiptoed back up the stairs before he saw me and tried to seat me.  I didn't want to be spotted...after all, I was a crazy, red-faced waeguk girl with ridiculous bun-pigtails.  (Have I mentioned that?)
3)  FREAKING COEX.  I somehow missed it.  I clearly need to watch more Burn Notice; my super-spy observation skillz are somewhat lacking.

After climbing, Rocky-like, the 13 flights to my apartment, I settled into Google Earth to figure out how far I'd gone.  (I'd been gone quite a while; it was even past Jake's prescribed "send a search party" time.  Way to look out for my safety, dear roommate.  GAH.)  I had noted the name of a big hotel near where I turned around, and...y'all.  Apparently I ran ALL THE WAY TO THE HAN RIVER.  That is 3.1 MILES AWAY from my apartment.  And THEN I RAN BACK.  (Again: walking intermittently, but no matter.  There were hills!  Also: I am slow!  I can hardly be faulted.  So hush up, Imagined Voice of Judgment.)





So apparently I did a 10k today.  By accident!  Amidst all the smog!  After not having gone running for....actually, it's really not important how long it's been!  Also, I did NOT get lost!  Despite being....myself!  This is clearly an occasion, if ever there was one, for gratuitous exclamation points and phrases parading as complete sentences.  I WIN.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

well done, little mack! I too am attempting to occasionally move myself, so I applaud your run-walk efforts :)

Nomarella said...

You were obviously still hyped up on endorphins when you wrote this entry. You need to chillax. Also, your destination goal was COEX, and you did not make it to COEX. Erego, you got lost. Wah wah!

Anonymous said...

Being off the fatherly variety, I'm proud of you for thinking of your own safety by taking the pepper spray, but would sure think you could talk some responsible male type person to run with you, and maybe not describe yourself as having a halter top (showing). However, you did describe youself in a rather appealing way.