Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mysterious as the dark side of the moooon!

During the twenty-minute break between morning classes, many of the kids congregate in the auditorium/gym.  (It's really just a biggish classroom.)  One of the teachers puts on the Disney movie du jour, and the kids sit on their heels and watch and giggle.  I teach in the gym just after the break, so at first it was a bit of a nuisance to have to wade through a sea of wee-wahs in the dark while trying to set up.  But this week I've found a new perspective.

Have y'all ever seen Mulan?  If not, go out and rent it right now.  It's a fabulous movie--no, seriously.  And if you can get ahold of some, I'd recommend watching it with about forty Korean six-year-olds.

Y'all, these kids pull on my heartstrings.  Last week they watched Aladdin, and they loved it....but Mulan is seriously their kind of hero.  She's an Asian chick!  Kicking butt!  In an AMERICAN MOVIE!  Today while I was setting up, I looked around at their faces and got such a spark of joy from it.  And their giggling....oh man.  It's easy to become overwhelmed with the constant amount of noise when you teach kids, but this morning, hearing the choruses of laughter brightened my whole day.  Kids are kind of awesome.

All this was kind of an incoherent string of thoughts, but there you go.  Little kids laughing = melodious and beautiful.  Mulan = awesome movie.  And me = now much more observant and content during that lovely twenty-minute slice of morning.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

let's get down to business... to defeat... the HUNNNNNS! Did they send me daughters...when I asked for SOOOONNNNS?

there ya go.

Anonymous said...

The Korean-American comedienne Margaret Cho often tells stories about her mother who calls Margaret by her Korean name--Mulan. When I saw the movie I assumed it took place in Korea.

For a long time, about 25 years now, my favorite sound has been the laughter of young children. It always made me smile to hear you and Melissa giggling in the background. It was the laughter that made me open the bedroom door to discover "Wilbur" circling the room taped to the ceiling fan by her pink hair.

Lori said...

Ha! I hadn't thought about Wilbur in a long time. For anyone who's curious, my mom's referring to a particularly demented episode of my childhood. I can't remember now who was the instigator and who was the victim, but one of us took a naked, pink-haired knock-off Barbie doll and tied it to her sister's ceiling fan. The yarn was sufficiently long that when the victim came into her room and turned on the light, Wilbur came whirling around and smacked the victim in the head. It was....quite a sight to behold. Also, brilliant. Unless I was the victim. In which case it was cruel.

Unknown said...

Feel good......