Monday, August 4, 2008

The Koree-wahs who cried wolf

When I teach, I hear a constant chirp of "TeachUH!  TeachUH!  TeachUH!" in the background--especially when I turn my back.  No classes at my school have more than ten students; my kids may be few in number, but they're mighty in persistence.  The chirping gets louder when I turn my back, to write on the board or whatever.  And in every case, the pleading peals never end up being anything important.  An example.

[I turn around]
--TeachUH!
--Hang on a second, Jason.
--TeachUH! TeachUH!  TEEEACHUUUUUUUUH!!!!!!
--What?  What what what?
--What page are we on?

Dear lord.

So today, I'm pointing something out on the overhead projector.  "Explain," I say.  "Talky talky.  Important things.  Wisdom, platitudes, et al."  And then it starts.

--TeachUH!
--Just a second.  So if the big hand is on the twelve...
--TeachUH!  [a second voice joins in]  TeachUUUH!
--Just a minute!  Please don't interrupt.  If the big hand is on the twelve, and the little hand is on the three, we say "It's three o'clock."  Okay, what is it, Moon?

And then I saw the blood.

Turns out Moon had a bloody nose.  And in the time it took me to finish making my point, he'd managed to bleed all over his shorts, the floor, his hands, and his face.  Awesome!  So I sent him running to the "counter teachers" (the three Korean ladies who rule the roost and purvey books, Post-It notes, and--occasionally--emergency medical supplies).  And after class I had to wipe up the trail of blood leading down the hall.


What was that story about that...boy?  Who cried....fox?  Or something?     :c)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee! You won't believe how hilarious I find this post. Not the bloody nose part, the teachuh, teachuh, teachuh, teachuh, teachuh part. Just tell them you're "changing your name". hee hee hee

Lori said...

I KNOW! I totally think about that all the time!

For anyone else who's reading the comments: my mom is referring to a trip to the grocery store from my childhood. Apparently my sister and I had cried "Momma! Momma! Momma!" one too many times, because she announced that she was changing her name and would no longer be answering to Momma. AND, she refused to tell us what she was changing her name to! Because she is HATEFUL MEAN.

The funniest part, though--IN RETROSPECT ONLY--is that I was seriously worried. I mean, I didn't know my own mother's NAME! What if I got hit by a car? Or, you know, wanted to ask her to buy me some Apple Jacks or something? Her name change troubled me deeply. And twenty years of daily therapy hasn't reversed the damage, either.