Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I MET A GERMAN!!!

Last night, I was highly spontaneous. It was a school night, but I hopped on the subway at 7:15 and headed across the city to see a couple of cool-looking free shows that were part of the Hi, Seoul festival that's going on this week. (More on the actual shows later; I don't have my pictures with me at school.)

To my chagrin, the park and stage weren't right near the subway stop, so I ended up having to look for them. In fact, the website told me the wrong subway stop! Thanks a LOT, website. But the evening still turned out fortuitously.

After asking a Korean man which way the river was, I was waiting to cross a busy street so I could catch a cab heading in the right direction. As I waited, though, I figured it'd be prudent to ask a second opinion. I spotted a white guy and went over to ask him--but I had a suspicion that he wasn't a native English speaker. (His shoes just loooked so....not-native-English-speaker. Or: not-native-English-sneaker! HA!) So I asked, and he answered with an accent. The rest of the conversation, which began in the crosswalk and finished on the other side of the street about five minutes later, can be summarized thusly.

--He was German.
--I was thrilled.
--We started speaking German, chatting about where we were from, why we were there, etc.
--I mentioned the festival events I was going to see.
--He looked interested.
--I asked if he wanted to tag along.
--He tagged along.

So we got into a cab, introduced ourselves (haha), and went to see the shows. It was SO GOOD to speak German! It'd been way too long--especially if you don't count talking to Margaret as "real German." We exchanged phone numbers, and I think we're going to hang out sometime soon. Yay for new friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting into a cab with a "strange" man - in Korea!!!! Didn't your FATHER teach you better than that?????

Kathleen said...

The shoes are always the giveaway, aren't they?