Monday, January 5, 2009

My Irish eyes are smilin'!

I'm an Irish citizen!!!!


A little backstory.

Both of my paternal grandparents were born in Ireland--one in modern-day Northern Ireland, and one in the modern-day Republic of Ireland (although both were born before the split). They both emigrated to New York as adults, where they met and got married. My dad was born there.*

Two and a half years ago, I mentioned to a co-worker of mine that two of my grandparents were Irish. He told me that I could apply for Irish citizenship through them, but it seemed improbable. Then, about a year ago, I was bored (okay, FINE...I was procrastinating) so I googled it. Turns out he was right! According to Irish law, my dad's already considered a citizen because he was born to Ireland-born citizens; he just wasn't on the books as such. I, being born to an Irish citizen (albeit one born in the States), was eligible to apply for citizenship. Which would then give me EU citizenship. Hot DANG.

Starting this past March, I began assembling the documents required for my application. Basically, they included birth, marriage, and death certificates (as applicable) for me, my dad, and whichever of his parents I chose; I had to prove that my grandparent was born in Ireland, that my dad was his/her son, and that I'm his daughter. I also assembled official copies for my sister and for my dad's Irish passport application. The process probably cost me over a hundred hours worth of work, mainly due to my grandparents' elusive marriage record. Also employed in the effort were my dad's fabulous cousin Dorothy, who hunted down my grandmother's 1910 birth certificate for me in Ireland (thanks, Dorfee!), and my sister and father, who dutifully copied and notarized and mailed whatever I required. And my dad financed all that document-gathering. Because he is wonderful and generous, not to mention handsome and charming!

Fast forward to about a month ago. Finally, eight months after I began the whole effort, we had a complete little army of stamped and watermarked certificates. I asked my dad, who was back in Atlanta, to photocopy the whole shebang and send it off to the New York consulate, where it would take up to a year to process--and once I had my citizenship, I could apply for a passport. That time frame was less than ideal, since I'd ideally like to teach in Germany once my contract in Korea runs out in July, and it's approximately 34,927 times easier to get a job in Europe if you're a European than if you're an American. (Thus, most of the basis of the appeal for me of Irish citizenship.)

Then, my dad had a brilliant idea: I live in Seoul now, so couldn't I send the application to the Irish embassy in Seoul? Surely they received far fewer citizenship and passport applications than the New York consulate did; maybe Seoul could process it more quickly than New York could. I e-mailed the embassy and told them about New York's up-to-one-year waiting time. The response was even better than I had hoped: not only was I allowed to apply through the Seoul embassy, but I could do my citizenship and passport at the same time--and it would take eight or nine weeks for both. My dad mailed me all my documents the next day.

Before I left Seoul for Christmas vacation, I subwayed over to the embassy and delivered all my documents. They told me the website where I could check on the progress of my passport application, and I wrote down my application number. Today, two weeks after that, I got home from vacation and saw the note with my application number. I went online to see if the passport office in Dublin had received my application yet, and this is what I saw.

Application Number Entered: 10126664624
Status: Application approved on 02/01/2009. Passport will issue to your Local Office within 10 days.
Issue Date: 05/01/2009
Last Updated: 02/01/2009

Not only have they received my application, but it's been approved! That means that my citizenship application has already been approved, too! After all that work, I'm finally an Irish citizen!!!!!



This is great news, and not only because of the employment opportunities it opens up for me for next year. My grandfather died before I was born, but my grandmother lived close to us almost my whole life and was a constant presence in it. She died two and a half years ago--actually, it was the same summer that I learned that I could apply for citizenship. (She was almost 96 years old!) Since she died, I feel like I've really been getting in touch with my Irish roots, as hackneyed as that sounds. First there was her memorial service in Atlanta; then, four months later, we drove her ashes up to New Jersey to bury them next to my grandfather, which included another little memorial service with lots of extended family and live Irish music. And eight months after that, my dad took my sister and stepmother and I to Ireland, where we spent time with tons of extended family and even got to see the houses where both of my grandparents were born!  Pictures can be found here.

That trip was really great for me. Finally, I felt like I understood a bit about the context from which my grandparents came, and I felt so much more in touch with my Irish roots. That was June of 2007; the following March, I began the citizenship process. And today, I found out that my citizenship was granted. I couldn't be prouder to say that I'm Irish.


To commemorate the occasion, here's one last picture. My sister and dad and I are standing in front of my grandmother's one-room schoolhouse--did I mention that she was born in 1910?! The schoolhouse is still there!--reenacting an old-timey class photo, complete with serious expressions and painfully upright posture.


This year's Saint Patrick's Day is going to be a fun one FOR SURE. :c)




*Over the course of my research, I noticed that my grandparents got married in July of 1952, and my dad--their only child, born when they were both in their forties--was born in January of 1953. When I realized the brevity of that interval, I asked my dad if he knew what that meant. And he, ever the witty one (he learned it from me), acknowledged it. "I was a premie," he said with a sideways smile.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Contabulations on your citizenship Elizagerth. You should talk to da Katiesnowwww about getting a jorb teaching English. In Augsburg. And we can be roomies again and be good at it this time. I miss youuuu!!!!!!
luvluvluvluvluvluv

(telansce)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you wee child. But your grandparents would be somewhat affronted if they saw the remark about St. Patrick's day, as they were both Orange Irish to the bone. No self-respecting Catholic Irishmen would give their son a name like that of good King Billie.

Now, I know Seoul is ahead of us in time zones but I didn't realize the consulate in Seoul could approve everything and "last updated" the information on Feb. 1,2009 when it is still barely Jan. 2009. What??

Holy crap, I got an actual word! PROVE

Anonymous said...

P.S. You need to redact that application number in case it becomes you passport number.
ingeoa

Erin said...

Wow! That's fantastic -- I'm so jealous!! I only have great-grandparents who were European citizens, no grandparents. Anything to make it easier to find a job in Europe...

Anonymous said...

I just went through your ficatures from Ireland. Those yellow upside down flowers are Turk's Cap Lilies. They look like the big turbans worn by the sultans, etc. The first farm in Ballynahinch IS the farm Daddy and I visited as Slate Quarry Farm. We were sent there (correctly) by his Aunt Mabel Mack. I recognise the house and barns and the layout. Ask me about the fireplace in the "kitchen", and why the old suit was there. The second house you went to I never saw before. So the stuff you appropriated was legit. I have pix of the 1st house somewhere.
Finally, the toast is not in a letter sorter you dork, that is called a toast rack and is used in better hotels around Europe, and fancy houses like Biltmore used them. God, you have no culture when you are away from me. Hee
felfie

Kate Croft said...

Holy crap that is SO COOL! jealousjealousjealous. Congrats :)